While reading the "Cyborg Manifesto" I became very confused on just how a robot and in any way reflect what a human is. In my mind a cyborg is no more than a machine that has a set plan in mind to do certain goals. As if they are programed from conception to do certain tasks. As a human we have emotion and feelings where as we can create cyborgs to have emotion and feel the point is do they really understand and create a memory of just what that pain is or the consequences of the actions they have just done to make this pain.Another thing I questioned in this reading was how can you relate just feminism to the cyborgs. Even though we can program these cyborgs to be either feminine or masculine I feel like the cyborg is just an organism not necessarily a gender. The human DNA is what determines a persons gender, for the cyborg it is the pattern you encode into the cyborg. When I think about the difference between masucline and feminine I begin to think about what it is to be a man or a woman. With men, if you watch what kind of video games they play, you can see a need for conflict to be around them in order to achieve a "right" of being a man. With women, you see more of a want to change the environment they are in, maybe this is embeded into women to have more of a nurturing nature. Still I have a very hard time relating feminism alone to being a cyborg.
I guess we just have to ask ourselves what it is a cyborg actually is and what is its purpose and function in our world. As long as we do not become some kind of mad scientist and let our powers go out of control then I think we will be ok. But what happens when you lose control of what you have created? Frankenstein was a prime example of this even though he was not a cyborg.

Really interesting entry. I would like to try an respond to the feminist/cyborg thing in so far as to just be basic and say, women are fed up with trying to fit into a world that says they need to be feminine- maybe they want power (and not the traditional kind) maybe the kind that transcends gender, beauty, nature and what is given to us genetically. Does that make any sense?
ReplyDelete