Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Cloning Debate...

On friday we had a class debate on the issue of cloning with three different subcategories to touch upon. I was placed on the side of having to agree with this idea of cloning and to decide what the good aspects were to having it. Now in my mind before we even started the debate I thought that I would have a hard time arguing against something that I really did not know much about or believe in. To help me understand this topic a little better I went and researched some articles about the basics of this and some actual good things that can come from it.

When I first thought cloning I immediately thought of embryotic stem cell reasearch, little did I know though that you can also use things like bone marrow to do stem cell research. This slowly changed my mind a little bit about the whole topic and I think using bone marrow and other forms of stem cell research is great in helping us discover cures for diseases or even creating organs and other things to help us. Still I am a little touchy on the whole embryotic stem cell research only because I still feel that it is a human life that you are experimenting on.

Overall though I thought that the debate went really well. I know that not alot of us agreed on which side we are but I think in a debate you sometimes have to just keep and open mind and listen to all that is being said around you. Sometimes by just listening you can learn alot about a topic. I feel like everyone was engaged in the conversation we were all having and not too many were bored. I found the debate very interesting to hear what people had to say about this topic and how they could relate it to certain events that they might see possibly happening in the future. We just need to know when it is the right time for this and when it is not because we have to remember that we should be the ones controlling our world not the technology surrounding it.

After the debate we had the two presenters come in and talk to us. They gave some good insight on how the art and technology has helped to give them a little bit of a background into what they do in their professions now. One of the presenters stated that you should make sure you take every opportunity that you can. I took this to heart because right now I am studying architecture but I do not necessarily want to be stuck behind a computer at a firm. I would like to try to be a consultant of some kind to a construction management firm and make sure I know a little bit of every aspect of the industry so that I do not go in looking like a fool who thinks they know everything.

1 comment: