Yesterday in class we watched a documentary called "Guys and Dolls". At first I thought, "Oh wow this is going to be something about the play"... not what I expected at all. This documentary was about guys who purchase these life like dolls in order to have some form of companionship. For many these dolls were a way to have some form of company because they have been "rejected" by society. For others it seems like it is almost a way to get some form of revenge on the women that have deserted them, presenting a more threatening image.
It disturbs me how in both cases it seems like women just kind of become these objects that you can do what ever you want with as long as they do not disagrees or hurt you. I am glad that these people are happy with the life that they have chosen but are they really happy with their life or just living in a false sense of reality. Companionship is usually something that all people need in order to survive and feel needed, and as one person said, "I feel a connection when I look into her eyes and by just being with her." As humans we have the ability to be alone but I think we all might face that feeling of can we survive the loneliness and no human interaction. Even the people in this documentary will still go out in the world and view others but because they have that security blanket of the doll at home they feel that maybe people are judging them more but maybe they are just not putting forth an effort. In the end I think that this is just a convenient escape to trying to interact in the world and not have to deal with the idea of rejection.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment